What is Congenital Penile Curvature?
Congenital penile deviation / curvature, is when a male is born with a penis that is curved when erect, with the urethral meatus (urine outlet) in its normal place a the tip of the penis. This should be differentiated from the following conditions:
- Hypospadias: this is a condition where the opening from letting out urine (urethral meatus) is not at the tip of the penis but is at an abnormal position along the lower surface of the penis. This is usually associated with penile curvature, but us treated differently.
- Epispadias: this is a condition where the opening from letting out urine (urethral meatus) is not at the tip of the penis but is at an abnormal position along the upper surface of the penis. This is usually associated with penile curvature, but us treated differently.
- Deviation of the erect straight penis (DESP): this picture says it all (still, click the picture for full information about DESP):
Examples of various directions and degrees of penile curvature
What is the cause of congenital penile deviation
Basically, this is due to an overgrowth of one side of the penis, overgrowing the other sides. Example: overgrowth of the upper surface leads to downward curvature. A genetic element has been implicated, though not transmitted in a linear fashion. That is to say, it does not have to go from father to son, but may be sporadically dispersed in the family
How do I get penile curvature corrected?
Surgery is the only option. However, surgery may not be necessary in the milder degrees:
The following degrees pf penile curvature will not interfere with sex and do not necessitate surgical intervention (though can still be corrected for cosmetic reasons):
- Downwards (ventral): <30 degrees
- Upwards (dorsal): <35 degrees
- Side-ways (lateral): <15-20 degrees
The Choice of surgical technique depends on the degree and direction of curvature
How do I calculate my degree of curvature?
This figure illustrates various degrees of curvature, Check your degree against the illustration. Also, feel free to send-in a photo in the erect state for evaluation by professor Shaeer (Contact Us).
What degrees of curvature a re considered moderate or severe?
This depends on the direction of curvature:
- Downwards (ventral): from 30 to 50 degrees
- Upwards (Dorsal): from 35 to 50 degrees
- Sideways (lateral): from 20 - 40 degrees
- Downwards (ventral): > 50 degrees
- Upwards (Dorsal): > 50 degrees
- Sideways (lateral): > 40 degrees
The following are the main surgical options for correction of congenital penile curvature:
Most-suited for mild to moderate cases. The principle is: since the curved penis has a longer surface (convex) and a shorter surface (concave), the surgeon may shorten the longer convex surface to match the shorter concave surface.
Disadvantages: Shortening. However, the eventual length will be within the normal range as long as the degree of curvature was mild to moderate.
Click here for more details
Shaeer's Corporal Rotation Technique
This is a pioneering technique which corrects the most severe degrees of penile curvature without shortening, or with minimal shortening.
Indications: moderate to severe penile curvature, direction downwards.
This is not suited for side-ways curvature or for cases with acquired penile curvature.
Click here for more details