What is Congenital Penile Curvature?
Congenital penile deviation / Congenital penile curvature is when a male is born with a curved penis when erect, with the urethral meatus (urine outlet) in its normal place a the tip of the penis. The curved penis should be differentiated from the following conditions:
- Hypospadias: this is a condition where the opening from letting out urine (urethral meatus) is not at the tip of the penis but is at an abnormal position along the lower surface of the penis. This is usually associated with Congenital penile curvature, but is treated differently.
- Epispadias: this is a condition where the opening from letting out urine (urethral meatus) is not at the tip of the penis but is at an abnormal position along the upper surface of the penis. This is usually associated with Congenital penile curvature, but us treated differently.
- Deviation of the erect straight penis (DESP). This is not Congenital penile curvature. The following picture says it all (still, click the picture for full information about DESP):
Examples of various directions and degrees of congenitanl penile curvature
What is the cause of congenital penile deviation
Basically, Congenital penile curvature is due to an overgrowth of one side of the penis, overgrowing the other sides, leading to a curved penis. Example: overgrowth of the upper surface leads to downward congenital penile deviation. A genetic element has been implicated in Congenital penile curvature, though not transmitted in a linear fashion. That is to say, congenital penile curvature does not have to go from father to son, but may be sporadically dispersed in the family
How do I get congenital penile curvature corrected?
Surgery is the only option for congenital penile curvature. However, surgery may not be necessary in the milder degrees of congenital penile deviation:
The following degrees of congenital penile curvature will not interfere with sex and do not necessitate surgical intervention (though can still be corrected for cosmetic reasons):
- Downward congenital penile curvature (ventral congenital penile curvature): <30 degrees
- Upward congenital penile curvature (dorsal congenital penile curvature): <35 degrees
- Side-ways congenital penile curvature (lateral congenital penile curvature to the right or to the left): <15-20 degrees
The Choice of surgical technique for congenital penile curvature depends on the degree and direction of curvature
How do I calculate my degree of congenital penile curvature?
This figure illustrates various degrees of congenital penile curvature, Check your curved penis in the erect state against the illustration. Also, feel free to send-in a photo of the bent penis in the erect state for evaluation by professor Shaeer (Contact Us).
What degrees of congenital penile curvature are considered moderate or severe?
This depends on the direction of congenital penile curvature:
Moderate congenital penile deviation:
- Downward penile deviation (ventral): congenital penile deviation from 30 to 50 degrees
- Upward congenital penile deviation (Dorsal congenital penile deviation): from 35 to 50 degrees
- Sideways congenital penile deviation (lateral congenital penile deviation): from 20 – 40 degrees
Severe congenital penile curvature:
- Downward curved penis (ventral congenital penile deviation): > 50 degrees
- Upward curved penis (Dorsal congenital penile deviation): > 50 degrees
- Sideways curved penis to the left or to the right (lateral congenital penile deviation): > 40 degrees
Surgical options for correction of a curved penis
The following are the main surgical options for correction of congenital penile curvature:
Shortening Techniques for correction of congenital penile curvature
Most-suited for mild to moderate cases. The principle is: since the curved penis has a longer surface (convex) and a shorter surface (concave), the surgeon may shorten the longer convex surface to match the shorter concave surface.
Advantages: Simplest of surgeries for straightening a curved penis.
Disadvantages: Shortening. However, the eventual length will be within the normal range as long as the degree of congenital penile curvature was mild to moderate.
Click here for more details
Non-Shortening Techniques for correction of congenital penile curvature
Shaeer’s Corporal Rotation Technique for congenital penile curvature
This is a pioneering technique which corrects the most severe degrees of congenital penile curvature without shortening, or with minimal shortening.
Indications: moderate to severe penile curvature, direction downwards.
This is not suited for side-ways curvature or for cases with acquired penile curvature.
Click here for more details
Please feel free to contact Professor Shaeer by email for any inquirues related to your case. Contact us.